TASJ – TABLE TENNIS TOURNAMENT RULES
- Basic Rules The first player to reach 21 points wins the game.
- Each game must be won by at least a two-point margin.
- “Best of Three” play to win the match (The winner must win 2 out of 3 games).
- Points are achieved when a player misses the ball or hits it out of bounds.
- When serving, the ball has to hit both sides of the table! Server switch every 5 points
- Who serves first? Flip a coin, volley for serve, it doesn’t matter to us!
- Scoring Details How you score a point:
- If your opponent fails to return the ball onto your side of the table.
- Your opponent hits the ball before it hits their side of the table (bounces).
- Your opponent touches the table or net with their free hand.
- Your opponent lets the ball bounce twice or more.
- “Net” ball – If you serve the ball and it hits the net, you must re-serve the ball. If you serve the ball a second time and it hits the net again, it is a point for your opponent.
- Additional Rules
- 20-20 Tied Game: If a score of 20-20 is reached in any game, then each server serves only one point and then the server is switched.
- Remember, you must win by two points!
- Switching Sides:
- After each game, the players must switch sides of the table.
- Definition of a Legal Serve:
- The ball must rest on an open hand palm before you serve
- The ball must then be tossed up at least 6 inches and struck so the ball first bounces on the server’s side first and then the opponent’s side.
Whenever TASJ sports committee provides an umpire, we follow the below rules:
- Family members of players playing the match cannot be umpires.
- Others players in the same group for group matches cannot be umpires.
- Family members of other players in the same group for group matches cannot be umpires.
Note:For any unforeseen situations, Sports committee(Praveen/Sreedhar/Jawahar/Yuvraj/Ram.B) decision is final. Any coordinator or sports committee member cannot make a decision for their own games.