CLICK HERE to register for Volley Ball
TASJ Volleyball – COVID Guidelines
Volley Ball Tournament Rules
REFEREE’S DECISION IS FINAL
- We will make 4 groups of 4 teams each (if we have odd numbers of teams, , one group will have 5 teams, other group will have 4 groups)
- The first round will be round robin with best of 3 sets. It will be 21 points with a 2-point difference for each set.
- Top two teams from each group will reach Quarter Finals.
- Quarter Finals Format : A1 vs C2, A2 vs C1, B1 vs D2, B2 vs D1
- Semifinal 1 will be winner of A1 vs C2 vs winner of B1 vs D2. Best of three sets (25 points each to win with 2-point difference)
- Semifinal 2 will be winner of A2 vs C1 vs winner of B2 vs D1. Best of three sets (25 points each to win with 2-point difference)
- Final with best of three sets (25 points each to win with 2-point difference)
- Once a player plays for a team, he cannot play to any other team in any round.
- If a player attempts a jump during the serve, it is legal to land inside the boundary line after he releases the ball.
- It is illegal to step his complete foot in opposite court of the center line below the net, however it is legal if he has part of his foot in his own court.
- TOSS: Winner of the toss chooses either side or service
- Server must serve from behind the end line until after contact
- Ball may be served underhand or overhand
- Ball must be clearly visible to opponents before serve
- Served ball may graze the net and drop to the other side for point
- Serve must be returned by a bump only. no setting or attacking a serve
- Rally scoring will be used
- There will be a point scored on every score of the ball.
- Offense will score on a defense miss or out of bounds hit, or serve into the net.
- Defense will score on an offensive miss, out of bounds hit, or serve into the net.
- Team will rotate each time they win the serve
- Players shall rotate in a clockwise manner
- There shall be 6 players on each side.
Playing the Game:
- Maximum of three hits per side
- Player may not hit the ball twice in succession (A block is not considered a hit)
- Ball may be played off the net during a volley and on serve
- Team will switch side at the end of each game.
- Team’s starting line-up indicates the rotational order of the players on the court. This order must be maintained throughout the Match for all games.
- If a discrepancy between player’s positions is discovered, the team at fault must revert to the correct positions. The opponent‘s points remain valid and in addition they receive a point and the next service.
- A ball touching a boundary line is good
- It is legal to contact the ball with any part of a player’s body.
- If two or more players contact the ball simultaneously, it is considered one play and the players involved may participate in the next play
- A player must not block or attack a serve
- Switching positions will be allowed only after the serve
- For all games, non-playing team will act as officials (referee, line umpires)
- One main referee/scorer and 2 line umpires for each game.
- Since, game officials are not professionals, mistakes happens; let the captains of the playing team resolve the conflicts with referee: Court Managers will intervene if there is a controversy. Let us not argue!!
- Play until a referee makes a call and do not stop the game in between assuming there was a foul committed.
Basic Rule Violations:
- Stepping on or over the line on a serve
- Hitting the ball illegally ( Carrying, Palming, Throwing, etc. )
- Touches of the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play. If the ball is driven into the net with such force
that it causes the net to contact an opposing player, no foul will be called, and the ball shall continue to be in play
- Reaching over the net, except under these conditions a) When executing a follow-through b) When blocking a ball which is in
the opponents court but is being returned ( the blocker must not contact the ball until after the opponent who is attempting
to return the ball makes contact). Except to block the third play
- Reaches under the net ( if it interferes with the ball or opposing player )
- Failure to serve in the correct order
- Blocks or spikes from a position which is clearly not behind the 10-foot line while in a back row position.