Basic Volleyball Rules – TASJ Tournament 2019
Format & Rules
- We will make two groups of 5 teams each. Each team will be played with other teams in the same group
- The first round will be round robin with 3 sets each match.
- Each set in 1st round will be for 15 points with roll over
- Top 2 teams from each group will be qualified for next round
- In case of tie, the accumulated point difference will be considered
- Semi final will be best of 3 sets (21 points each set with roll over)
- Semi final line up – top 2 teams from each group – A1 vs B2 , B1 vs A2
- Finals will be best of 5 sets (21 points each set with roll over)
- Once player plays for a team, he / she cannot play for any other team
- 6 players on the floor at any one time – 3 in the front row and 3 in the back row
- Maximum of 3 hits per side
- Points are made on every serve for winning team of rally
- Player may not hit the ball twice in succession. (A block is not considered a hit.)
- Ball may be played off the net during a volley and on a serve.
- A ball hitting a boundary line is in.
- A ball is out if it hits an antenna(Pole), the floor completely outside the court, any of the net or cables outside the antennae(Pole), the referee stand or pole, the ceiling above a non-playable area.
- It is legal to contact the ball with any part of a player’s body.
- It is illegal to catch, hold or throw the ball.
- After the serve, players may switch positions at the net.
Basic Volleyball Rule Violations
Rule violations that result in a point for the opponent
- When serving, the player steps on or across the service line as while making contact with the ball.
- Failure to serve the ball over the net successfully.
- Ball-handling errors. Contacting the ball illegally (double touching, lifting, carrying, throwing, etc.)
- Touching the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play
- When blocking a ball coming from the opponent’s court, it’s illegal to contact the ball when reaching over the net if both your opponent has not used 3 contacts AND they have a player there to make a play on the ball.
- When attacking a ball coming from the opponent’s court, contacting the ball when reaching over the net is a violation if the ball has not yet broken the vertical plane of the net.
- Crossing the court centerline with any part of your body is a violation. Exception: if it is the hand or foot. In this case, the entire hand or entire foot must cross for it to be a violation.
- Serving out of rotation/order.
- Booster should not block the ball on 1st pass while opponent serve
Basic Volleyball Court
The court diagram shows the official volleyball indoor specifications. The official indoor court dimension is 9 meters by 18 meters with an attack line 3 meters from the center line.